Is a hamlet of about fifteen houses, situated in the eastern part of the
township, on the Delaware River and canal. It was named for the family of
Raubs, who were the first settler, in that vicinity. The first tavern was
built there in 1805, by one of that family; and, on the establishment of
the Raubsville Post Office, George Raub was appointed first postmaster.
Stouts Post Office is in the southwestern part of the township.
Along the foot of the mountain, on the north side, and Dear the Hellertown
road, leading from the Delaware to the Saucon line, is a rich deposit of
hematite iron-ore, stretching the full length of the township.
These ore-beds have been worked for years and yield a very good quality,
and thousands of tons have been mined annually, of which the greater part
has been manufactured into iron at the Glendon, Keystone, and Redington
The location of the first mines, or the time of their opening, is not
known, but that iron was discovered, and mining commenced, in the early
history of the county, is shown by deeds in possession of Major John Best,
showing the transfer of a tract of land, in the locality of the Keystone
Iron Works, from Thomas and Richard Penn, to Philip Bossart, between the
years 1742 and 17-53, wherein provisions are made in regard to mines,
minerals, quarries, etc.
Among the oldest hematite mines, now worked, are those on property of
Adam Horn, and on John Brotzman's property, now worked by the Glendon Iron
Company. The ore is found from a depth of sixty to two hundred feet, and as
no pumping is necessary, they have been principally worked by horse-power,
although three of the mines are worked by the use of engines-to by the
Glendon Company, and the other by Thomas Richard & Sons. Shaft. have been
sunk and ore mined the whole distance from the Delaware to the township
line, and are being worked extensively, at present, by the Glendon Company,
Henry Fulmer & Hager, Adam Horn & Sons, Thomas Richard & Sons, and others.
Bougher Hill Mines-Hematite ore is also found in the southeast portion
of the township, on the north side of Bougher Hill, commencing at the
Delaware River extending wen, and has been developed as far as property of
Ore, in this region, has been extensively mined on properties of Jacob
Hartzell, formerly owned by F. Unangst, L. Lake, C. Rice, B. Hoover, and
The ore from these mines is shipped principally to the Durham Iron
Works, in Bucks county, about three miles distant, Major John Best was the
first contractor who worked the Unangst mines extensively. He struck ore at
the depth of forty-five feet, and shafted to the depth of one hundred and
eighteen feet, which was the level of the Delaware River. He had a contract
to furnish the Durham Iron Company 5,000 tons of ore in the year 18-58, and
furnished them 5,600 tons in the time specified. No pumping was necessary
in these mines, and the ore was raised by horsepower, which is true in
regard to all mines in this locality, no engines being employed to the
Saylor Hill Mines-The mines on the north side of Saylors Mountain also of
hematite ore-were opened upwards of twenty years since, by the Glendon Iron
Company, and are now worked extensively by the Durham Iron Company.
Magnetic Iron Ore-During the War of 1812, magnetic ore was extensively
mined on the summit of the mountain, about three and one-half miles from
Easton, along the Old Philadelphia road, on what is known as the "Kline
property," now owned by the Glendon Iron Company. This ore was carted to
the Delaware River aud shipped, by Durham boats, to Trenton or
Philadelphia, That a number of these shafts were sunk, previous to 1 812,
there seems to be no question, but at what time the first developments were
made, cannot be ascertained. There have been other slight developments of
magnetic ore in this township.
Ochre.-On property owned by J. Nolf Sr., situated along the hematite
iron-ore region, is a clay or ochre mine, which has been worked to some
extent, being washed and prepared for market at the mines. It produces a
very good quality of clay, bringing from twelve to fifteen dollars per
ton, during the war, for the manufacture of paint, paper, and soap, and
will be worked, from time to time, as the demand warrants.
THE KEYSTONE FURNACE
Was commenced June 5th, 1873. Now in possession of Henry Fulmer. The
original cost of the works was about $240,000, and the additions, now in
progress, will add about $18,000 more. Men employed at works and in me-,
will average about sixty. The furnace production will be about 12,000 tons
annually, There are also two other furnaces in this township.
This township has an inexhaustible supply of limestone along the Delaware,
and Lehigh rivers. William Best, in the borough of Glendon, has perhaps the
most extensive quarry in that vicinity, and furnishes stone for the
Keystone Iron Works.
Are situated on the Delaware Canal, where large quantities of lime are
manufactured and shipped, by the canal, to the various markets. The kilns
were established by Michael and John Uhler, in 1850 and 1855. The quarry is
one of the best in the State.
This mill is a stone structure, situated about one mile from the Lehigh
River, and was built in the year 1810, by W. Woodring. The power is
furnished by a stream of spring water, which takes its rise only about one
This property has never passed out of the Woodring name, being owned
successively by William, Nicholas, Jacob, Enoch, and Amandus Woodring, the
There are five other grist-mills in the township; two saw-mills, one
distillery, and one brewery.
The first school taught in the township, of which we have any information
was held in a log house owned by Peter Lattig, and Mr. Bittenberider
Spangemberger was the teacher. There are now nine School houses in the town
ship. The present school buildings are principally built of stone. The
schools are kept open about six mouths in the year, and employ mate
teachers during the winter session.
In Williams township, a short distance from the Borough of South Easton,
in a field, on the southeast corner of the junction of the old Philadelphia
and Hellertown roads, stood a church, known as the Old Forks Lutheran
This was one of the first churches built in Northampton county. All traces
of this building, except the foundation, had been gone before the
remembrance of the oldest citizens reared in this vicinity.
We are indebted to Mrs. William Miller, an elderly lady, in whose
possession the site is located, for pointing out to us the exact spot where
the building had stood, and for showing us what had once been its
corner-stone, now forming a part of the rear wall of her residence.
She distinctly remembers her grandmothers, Mrs. Lattig and Mrs. Crutz-who
were taken in church there-say that it was a rough, log building, and was
suffered to go to ruin when they were still young; the logs being used for
fuel by the inhabitants. There are no records from which we can ascertain
when this church was built, but it must have been fully one hundred and
forty years ago. Rev. Rudolph Schrenck, it member of the Muhleuberg
Association, was preaching at this olden-time church, in 1752. Soon after,
it was demolished.
OLD WILLIAMS TOWNSHIP CHURCH.
The church known by this name is located near the Saucon township line, and
took the place of a log church, in 1813. It has recently been remodeled,
and present,, at present, a splendid appearance. It has always been used by
both the Lutheran and Reformed congregations. Among the early pastors were
- Pump the former being the first pastor.
ST. JOHNS CHURCH.
This is a stone structure, built by the Lutheran and Reformed
congregations, A. D. 1844. There is a fine cemetery connected with it.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
This church is situated on the old Philadelphia road, and. was built in
1872. It is a frame building, with stone basement, and is, all imposing
edifice. The first church was erected on this site A. D. 1839, being also a
frame building. There is a cemetery connected.
STOUT'S VALLEY CHURCH.
This is a small, frame building, built by the Methodist denomination,
located in Stouts valley. There are no regular services held at this place.
RAUBSVILLE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Is located at Raubsville, and was recently erected.
Leave a Comment