The History of South Whitehall
A HISTORY of LEHIGH COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA Published by James J. Haurer 1902
South Whitehall is bounded on the northwest by North Whitehall Township, southeast by Salisbury township, in southwest by Upper and Lower Macungie townships, The population in 1900 was 2,472. The surface is generally level with the exception of Huckleberry ridge, which runs west for about two miles, the soil is very fertile. It was organized as a separate township in 1810, and was formally included in Whitehall Township, (which included the three Whitehalls.) The two principal streams are the Jordan creek which flows through the northern part and Cedar creek which flows through the southern part. The first settlement was made in 1735, by Nicholas Kern. The Catasauqua & Fogelsville R.R. passes through the township and is an outlet for the numerous ore mines along its route. It crosses Jordan creek by the famous Iron Bridge which spans it, the length of which is 1165 feet, consisting of 11 spans of 100 feet each, supported by a series of suspension trusses.
The old roads are the Allentown and Easton and the Mauch Chunk roads.
The Jordan Lutheran church is the oldest in the township, it was founded in 1744. The first minister was Rev. Berkenstock; Jordan Reformed church was founded in 1752, the first minister was the Rev. J. H.Goetchius. Cedarville Union church was founded in 1855, the first Lutheran minister was Rev. Jeremiah Schindel and the first Reformed minister was Rev. Joseph Dubbs, The same year the Evangelical church was built.
The earliest schools in the township were those that were connected with the Jordan Lutheran and Reformed churches and were opened the same time the churches were founded. The schools of the township compare with the other schools of the County.
VILLAGES-Cetronia, formerly Cedarville, was founded in 1850 by Charles Mertz and contains a store, hotel, three churches, flour mills and post office. Dorney Fish Wier and Park, a quarter of a mile went, is a fine summer resort. The Allentown & Kutztown electric road passes the village and Dorney Park. Population in 1900 was 150. Crackersport, a small village, contains a store, hotel and carriage factory. Population in 1900 was 90. Griesmersville, founded in 1806 by Abraham Griesemer, it contains a hotel, limekilns, and the famous Duck Farm is located here. The Allentown and Kutztown electric railroad passes through it. Population in 1900 was 150. Guthsville, founded in 1780, and contains a store, hotel and post office. Population in 1900 was 50, Mechanicsville was founded in 1823 by John Scheirer, contains a store and hotel. Population in 1900 was 125. Orefield was founded in 1813 by Joseph Kern, store, hotel, post office, etc. Population in 1900 was 164. Wennersville, founded in 1837 by William Wenner, contains a store, hotel, school house, post office and church. Population in 1900 was 140. Snydersville was founded in 1835 by George Snyder. Population in 1900 was 25. Guth’s Station, on the Catasauqua & Foge1sville R.R. and contains a store, hotel, vitrified brick works and post office. Population in 1900 was 140.