A HISTORY of LEHIGH COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA Published by James J. Haurer 1902
Upper Macungie is bounded on the east by South Whitehall township, south by Lower Macungie township, north by Lowhill and Weisenberg townships and on the west by Berks county. The meaning of the word Macungie is of Indian origin and means the “eating place of bears.” When food became scarce on the mountains the bears came to the valleys. Population in 1900 was 2,084. It was organized as a township in 1742. The first settlement was made in 1729, at Spring creek near Trexlertown, on what was later known as the Schwartz’s farm, by Jeremiah Trexler and children. The first public road through the township was made in 1732 from Trexlertown to Goshenhoppen. The surface is level; the soil is fertile and is of limestone formation. Iron ore and limestone are found in large quantities in the vicinities of Foglesville, Breinigsville and Trexlertown. The Catauaqua and Foglesville R. R. pass through the township and is an outlet for the same. The principal streams that drain the township are the Macungie creek, Spring creek, Little Lehigh creek and Haas creek flows in the northern part and empties into the Jordan creek. Cedar creek, in the southeastern part rises in the Schantz spring, and empties into the Little Lehigh creek at Schreiber’s Mill, turning many mills in its course. Schantz Spring which is situated in this township about five miles west of Allentown is a very large spring of pure water, being nearly free from mineral substance. The power and force of the water of the spring is very remarkable, it propels a saw mill at its very beginning. A 36×12 inch stream of water pours forth at one place. Cedar Creek propels four flour mills along its course. It was a pleasant meeting place where the red men used to assemble in days gone by, The first settler at the spring was John George Guth in 1744, though settling about a mile from the spring and erected a gristmill there which he sold to his son George, together with sixty acres. of land in 1766. In 1774 Adam Eppler became the owner; in 1788 Henry Bortz, and Jacob Schantz in 1792. In 1818 Jacob Schantz, Jr. became the owner and in 1844 his son Hiram J. Schantz came into possession of it and lately disposed off it to David Koch who afterwards sold it to the City of Allentown (in 1900) who intend laying pipes and bring the water of the spring to the city. The people came from far and near to have their grain ground at the mill in the early times.
Lehigh County Poor House was founded in 1844, upon the farm bought from C. and S. Mertz in South Whitehall Township, containing two hundred and sixty acres for $27,742. The first constable of Macungie was John Brandberg, appointed in 1737.
VILLAGES-Breinigsville contains a store, hotel, schools, church and a post office. The Allentown and Kutztown trolley line passes through the village. Population in 1900 was 213. Chapman’s on the Catasauqua and Foglesville R.R contains a store, hotel, post office, a coal and lumber yard. Population 1900 was 60. Trexlertown, the oldest town in the township, is on the Catasauqua and Fogelsville R. R. and on the Allentown & Kutztown trolley line, 8 miles from Allentown, and contains a store, three hotels, a Lutheran and Reformed church, post office, coal and lumber yard, machine shop, graded school and Masonic Hall. Population in 1900 was 345. Fogelsville was founded in 1798 by Judge John Fogel, and contains three stores, two hotels, two schools, three churches and a post office. Population 1900 was 638.