THE Borough of Bangor embraces within its limits a tract of five hundred
and fifty acres, of ground, situated in the northern part of Washington
township, on Martins Creek, and also being on the line of the proposed
South Mountain Railroad, fourteen miles from Easton. The town owes its
existence to the discovery, and successful working of the slate quarries,
at and around that point.
About eleven years ago, R. M. Jones, Esq., from Caernarvonshire, North
Wales a practical geologist and slate-quarrying expert, followed the slate
strata from the Delaware river to this Point, and finding here combined,
the three indispensable conditions for profitable slate production, viz:
slate, soft and tough in quality, unlimited in quantity, and lying in a
good and accessible location, he, in company with Jacob P. Scholl, of
Bethlehem, and Samuel Straub of Bath, purchased the farm of P. Labar, and,
on the first of August 1866, these gentlemen (having associated with them,
Messrs. Salad. Lewis, of Allentown; Francis Weiss and E. T. Foster, of
Bethlehem; and A. L. Foster, of Mauch Chunk); commenced quarrying, under
the superintendency of Mr. Jones. The name of Bangor, was given to the
quarry and the locality, on account of the similarity of their natural
features, to those of the town arid quarries if Bangor, in Wales.
The Elmira Slate Quarry, the second opened, is situated on property
bought by E. R. Wheeler and C. Smith, of Elmira, N, Y., from R. M. Jones,
is on the northwest side ofthe valley, opposite the Bangor Quarry.
The North Bangor Slate Manufacturing Companys quarry, adjoining the
Elmira Quarry, was opened by R. M. Jones and Adam R. Reese, in 1871, who
transferred an interest to John Brown, of Easton, who is at present working
the quarry. Hugh H. Preichard, superintendent.
The Washington Slate Quarry was opened about 1869, by Philip Labar.
William Bennett is the present superintendent.
The Empire Slate Quarry was opened by G R. Labar, who sold it, for
$8,500, to F. Hegeman and P. W. Money; they through R. M. Jones, sold it to
Leinbach & Wooley, for $26,000, Jan. 3d, 1874. Shortly afterwards, they
sold it for $125,000, to ex-Governor Brown of Florida, who now operates the
The Upper Bangor Slate Quarry was opened by W. & J. Bennett, who sold it
to Moses M. Jones and William Brown, and it is now owned by M. K & R. M.
Jones, S. B. Chase, Rev. James M. Salmon and G. W. Mackey, who are
preparing for business under a charter, with a capital stock of $126,000.
This, as well as the quarries before mentioned, are within the limits of
the Borough of Bangor, which is entirely underlaid to an undefined depth
with a quality of roofing and school slate, equal, if not superior to any
in this country. There are some eight or nine quarries being worked,
adjoining the borough line.
The quantity of roofing slate produced at Bangor, is immense; an idea of
the great magnitude of this trade, can only be obtained by a personal visit
to this borough. The production during 1876, amounted to nearly 80,000
squares, the greater part of which was shipped to England, arid the demand
is constantly increasing.
There is a large deposit of very fine blue flagging-stone, on farms, of
R. M. Jones, which will be developed, and become a great source of income
when either of the proposed railroads (the South Mountain or the Martins
Creek) are completed.
five grocery and dry goods stores
one shoe store
one drug store, kept by E. P. Lutz
PICTURE OF CENTENNIAL DRUG STORE APPEARS HERE
two blacksmith shops
one tailor shop
a population of about 1,000 inhabitants, the greater portion of whom are
engaged in the different branches of the peculiar industry of the place.
The mechanics employed in manufacturing slate, are chiefly Welsh and
English people, who do honor to their nationalities by their industry and
moral conduct. They built, during 1874, four fine churches, viz:
English Methodist Episcopal Church
THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Was erected in 1874. It is situated on Second street, near Market. The
first pastor was Rev. James H. Salmon.
THE WELSH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Is located on First street. It was erected in 1874. Rev. Morgan A. Bills,
was its first pastor. Services are conducted in the Welsh language.
THE WELSH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
On First and Market streets, was erected in 1874, First pastor, Rev. John
THE ENGLISH METHODIST CHURCH
On Third street, near Pennsylvania Avenue, was built in 1874. Rev.
There are also one Evangelical and one Mennonite, Church, in Bangor.
There are five public schools in the borough.
The present Board of School Directors, is as follows:
S. H. Saeger, President
Amos Buzzard, Secretary
William H. Snyder, Treasurer
B. F. Flory
The Broadway Hotel, corner of Broadway and Main streets, was built by
W. H. & Christian Spear, in 1871.
PICTURE OF BROADWAY HOTEL APPEARS HERE
The first proprietor was S. Anthony; the present landlord is G.A.M. Hower.
Was erected in 1869, by Philip Labar, who was the, first landlord. The
present proprietor is S. Smith of Bethlehem, N. J.
THE BANGOR HOTEL
Was purchased by the Bangor Slate Company, in 1866, First landlord,
Israel Meninger. The present owner is Joseph Haugh.
Prosperity Lodge, No. 661 -Was instituted April 23d, 1869, with twenty
charter members. The first officers were
Peter F. Allen, Noble Grand
Joseph A. Long, Vice Grand
John Long, Secretary
Geo W. Heil, Assistant Secretary
John Slack, Treasurer.
Present number of members, 153; valuation of Lodge property, $2,882,62.
The incorporation of Bangor, being of so recent a date, and the events of
its short career being so closely interwoven with those of the slate
interests of its vicinity, the borough cannot be said to have any history
distinct from that of the quarrying enterprise, to which it owes its existence.
Leave a Comment