BOROUGH OF PORTLAND.

  THE Borough of Portland located on the Delaware River, in the eastern 
part of the township of Upper Mount Bethel, was incorporated a borough, 
October 21st, 1876. The first election resulted in the choice of the 
following officers, namely:

Burgess, William Fox

Members of Council-
John Lamb
Hugh Williams
Philip Datesman
John Ott
P. A. Frutchy
S. O Cortelyou

School Directors

S.L. Weidman
Jer. Reimer
S. Hagerman
Joseph Wise
S. L Flint
John F. Rader

Constable, Enoch Frutchy

Assessor, Reuben Wise

Auditors-

T. J. Mends
P. J. Ott

George E. Labar was appointed Judge of Election

William Kappel and H. L. Brands, Inspectors

Justices of the Peace- William L. Bowman and Jesse Pearson

Having been but a few months organized, the Borough of Portland has no 
history distinct from that of Upper Mount Bethel township, of which it was 
originally a part.