THE BOROUGH OF BATH. THE Borough of Bath was incorporated February 1st, 1856, and the first election was held oil the twenty-first, of the following March, The first borough officers were, Burgess, James Vleet Members of Council- Andrew Haupt Thomas Moser John Morey Jacob Shinier Samuel Straub; Secretary, Abraham Knecht; High Constable, Benjamin Hunt; Street Commissioner, Daniel Miller; Treasurer, Dr. G. P. Kern James Vleet was appointed Surveyor, and authorized and directed to make a survey and plot of the borough. The Council adopted the Rule of the Borough of Easton for the government of their body. EARLY SETTLERS. Among the early settlers in the, limits and vicinity of the present, Borough of Bath, were John Lattimore John Wind Conrad Pest Joseph Horner John Sterling Mary Lattimore These, with other settlers were here during and before the period of the Revolutionary War, though not until many years later than the planting of the Craig settlement, which was within it short distance of them, to the southwest. John Lattimore was the purchaser of a tract of confiscated land sold by Benjamin Franklin for the Government in 1778 Other early settlers, upon that part of East Allen township where Bath now is, were Jesse Jones - Steckel O. Shimer Joseph Siegfried Jacob Vogel. Jacob Kern, and a Hebrew named First, which latter, established the first store at this point about 1810, being followed by Jacob Vogel, who commenced about 1815, arid Jacob Kern about 1820. The first dwelling house in Bath (according to the recollection of the oldest citizen) was erected by Joseph Siegfried, about the year 1810. A tannery had, however, been established here at, a much earlier date. THE FIRST GRIST-MILL. Was built in 1812, by Joseph Siegfried. It is the same now owned by John Koch. A second one was erected fit 1817, by Jacob Vogel. This property is now owned and carried on by Levi Barber. In 1816 Bath was laid out as a village by James Ralston. It contained at that time not, more than five dwellings, and yet it must have been a place, of some little consideration, as containing two stores, a tannery and a grist-mill, to which were added another mill and store immediately after, as we have seen. In the year 1833, the meeting was called to build a house of worship, At, this meeting it was resolved to erect A UNION CHURCH to be used as a place of worship by the Reformed and Lutheran people. On the twenty-fourth of February, 1833, a meeting was called to elect a building committee, and in May, 1833, a constitution was adopted. The first officers were Daniel Steckel Peter Lichtenwalner Jacob Vogel John Windt Jacob Snyder The church was completed in October, 1834, and named, "Bath Church," on the eleventh and twelfth days of October, 1834, it was consecrated, in 1834. Rev. A. Fuchs was unanimously elected pastor of the Lutheran Congregation. April 5th, 1835, Father Fuchs entered upon his duties as pastor, the congregation numbering thirteen communicant members. He continued pastor up to May, 1875, when, on account of feeble health, he resigned. During the forty years of his ministration, the congregation, which had been so small when he assumed its, charge, had become strong and numerous, and both Lutheran and Reformed thought, it was advisable that, a separation should be made, and each congregation should build its own church. Accordingly, the first meeting of the Lutherans was held November 13th, 1875, at which a committee was appointed to select a suitable site for the erection of a church, and on December 4th, 1875, it was resolved to purchase the property on which their church now stands; and steps were taken to procure a charter, under the name of "St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Bath." The charter and constitution were adopted December 11th, 1875, and a building committee appointed. April 12th, 1876, the contract for the erection of the church building was given to T M. D. Hirst, of Bethlehem. Rev. S. A. Ziegenfuss was unanimously chosen pastor. He entered upon his duties November 5th, 1876. The officers of the church were Joseph Haupt Henry F. Steckel Elders A. Schull J. P. Moser Deacons Samuel Eberts Henry Scholl The basement of the church was consecrated December 10th, 1876. Up to this time the Lutherans had worshiped in the old church. April 21st and 22d, 1877, the main audience-room was consecrated. The size ofthe building is 43 x 71 feet, a brick structure, and the property is estimated at $18,000. The congregation numbers between three, and four hundred members. REFORMED CHURCH. The history of the Reformed Congregation is in common with that of the Luther an until their separation in November, 1876. In June previous to their separation, measurements were taken for the immediate erection of a house of worship, and a committee appointed to solicit aid, who, during the first month, received subscriptions to the amount of $6,000. Upon the evidence of this, encouraging report a building committee., was appointed, who, purchasing a lot on Chestnut street, proceeded immediately to erect a church, and so vigorously was the work prosecuted that in the latter part of June the corner-stone was laid with appropriate ceremonies, conducted by Revs. Smith, Heisler, Leinbach, and others. The church at this date is nearly completed. It is constructed of brick, one-story with basement, at a cost of about $9,000. THE EVANGELICAL Congregation was organized by Rev. S. Rhoads in 1860. Services were held in the Hall of the Sons of Temperance for a number of Years, and the hall was finally bought and used as a place of meeting until 1870. The congregation consisted of forty members, who, determined to build a church edifice, which was done in the year 1870, under the pastoral care of Rev. W. A. Leopold, who served three, Years and was succeeded by the Rev. Lewis Snyder, who was succeeded two years later by the Rev. S. C. Breyfogel, The present pastor is the Rev. George W. Gross. The church has now eighty-seven members and a flourishing Sunday-school. 226 PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. The building occupied by this denomination is a brick edifice, erected in 1870. Size, 36 x 60 feet, one-story with a basement, cost estimated at $9,000. The corner-stone was laid with appropriate ceremonies in the spring of 1870, and the building was consecrated in November, 1870, by Rev. Mr. James. Previous to this the congregation met in the old Bath Church. The building committee were James Vleet Hugh Horner THE UNION SCHOOL HOUSE. Is the only building in the borough which is used for educational purposes. Its rooms and accommodations the ample for the present school necessities of the town. INDUSTRIAL. The Bath tannery is the direct successor of the old establishment started here before the Revolution. It is now carried on by William Badder. There are two marble works in Bath; one, carried on by Rhoads & Michael, located on Chestnut street; and the other, by Daniel F. Reinhardt, on Main street. The carriage manufactories are those of C. Haupt, on Chestnut street; and of Rohrer & Crock, on Main street. A foundry was established, in 1852, by Levi Barber, at the mill which was built by Jacob Vogel in 1817, and a second foundry was started, in 1872, by Barber, Knouse & Smock. A furniture manufactory is operated by Josiah Bartholomew, on Main street. STORES. There are, three general stores in the borough, namely, those of James W. Heller and Reuben Schuman, on Chestnut street, and Henry Scholl, on Union street. The other merchants of the place are Thomas Moser & Son, dealers in hardware, corner Main and Chestnut streets George P. Kern & Son, drugs, on Main street John H. Blair and Charles Beers, both dealers in stoves and tinware, Main street James P. Snyder, hats and caps, corner of Main and Walnut streets THE UNION SAVINGS BANK OF EAST PENNNSYLVANIA Is located at Bath. Charter granted, March 1st, 1870. Incorporators met at Bethlehem, March 26th, 1870, and elected the following trustees Henry Scholl John Mory David Engelman Samuel Straub A. J. Erwin J. H. Scholl William Chapman. And adjourned, to meet at Bath; April 9th upon which day they met and elected William Chapman as President, and Henry Scholl Vice-president; whereupon they adjourned, to meet again on the twenty-third day of April. Upon said day they met and elected Thomas H. Seem as Cashier, and opened for business, June 1st, 1870. Authorized capital, $100,000. The stockholders are personally responsible to the deposit for double the amount of the capital stock. The bank has been doing very successful business ever since. The present trustees are: William Chapman A. W. Lerch John Mory Dr. David Engelman John H. Odenwelder Henry Scholl H. B. Fish, President William Chapman; Vice President A. W. Lerch; Cashier Thomas H. Seem HOTELS. THE BATH HOTEL. Hotel, owned by Harry Gurnett, and kept by John Frey. This was erected by Jacob Vogel, in 18217. Its first landlord was - Hurst, THE AMERICAN HOUSE. The American Home, kept at present by William Koch, was erected in 1847, by Jacob Vogel, and first conducted by John Stein. THE SLATE EXCHANGE. The Slate Exchange was erected in 1857, by Samuel Straub, and is now kept by John Beaver. PROFESSIONS. There is but one attorney in the borough, viz,: S. S. Duffy, Esq. The physicians are: Dr. G. P. Kern Dr. Palmer M. Kern Dr. W. H. Seip Dr. G. T. Fox MASONIC. Manoquesy Lodge, No. 413 -Established June 4th, 1868 KNIGHT OF PYTHTIAS. Bath Lodge, No. 240 -Chartered February 16th. 1860. Established February l7th, 1860. ORDER UNITED AMERICAN MECHANICS. Bath Council, No. 174-Chartered and established October 31st, 1868. Bath Council, No. 73, Junior O. U. A. M.-Chartered and established November 11th, 1875 MECHANIC HALL. Was erected in 1847, on present location, Main street. CASTLE HALL Is the old "Bath Church " converted, and named as above, by the Knights of Pythias. BOROUGH OFFICIALS. Burgess, Charles Haupt Members of Borough Council- Charles Beers, President Peter F. Snyder Josiah Bartholomew John Reigel John Mory James Moser, Secretary Henry Schull, Treasurer High Constable, Geo. Siegfried Supervisor, William Warman Solicitor, S. S. Duffy Board of Health- Dr. G. P. Kern P. F. Snyder Moses George School Directors- John R. Warman W. Rohn Abraham Rohr Dr. G. P. Kern Stephen Barber James W. Heller Justices of the Peace-John McIlheney, Esq. elected 1875 S. S. Duffy, Esq., elected 1877 The population of the borough in 1870 was seven hundred and seven.