THE BOROUGH OF NAZARETH. BY REV. EDWARD H. REICHEL. IN the year of Grace 1457, some of the religious followers of the staunch Bohemian martyr, John Huss (who was burnt at the stake on July 6th, 1417), formed themselves into a close church fellowship with like-minded believers from Moravia, and assumed the name of "The United Brethren." The descendants of these sorely tried professors of the Gospel, after having suffered the most intense persecutions, were scattered through the contiguous States of Central Europe, and finally almost entirely extirpated. A remnant was, however, preserved; and some three hundred years after the martyrdom of Huss-whom they considered the founder of their church-the Spirit of God brought about a great awakening among this remnant; and, in order to enjoy religious liberty and freedom of conscience-sacred principles, always upheld by their ancestors-they now threw off the shackles of oppression, by leaving their native lands, and escaping into the Kingdom of Saxony. Here these hardy refugees found a kind welcome, and were soon permitted to begin a settlement on the estate of Count Zinzendorf in Upper Lusatia, where they founded Herrnhut in 1722.1 Five years later, a regular Church Government, was, established, and thence dates the birth of the Renewed Brethrens Church, whose members are now commonly styled "Moravians." Imbued with a genuine missionary spirit, their poster, Zinzendorf, who proved himself a worthy instrument in God's hand, used all his influence, political and religion, to further the spread of the gospel; and here were men ready and willing to leave home and friends, in order to carry the message of salvation to the uttermost parts of the earth. It was in accordance with this movement that the first Moravians crossed the Atlantic in 1735, and landed at Savannah, in the Province of Georgia, there to engage in missionary labors among the negro slaves. Others followed, and some of these proceeded northward into Pennsylvania. Here Whitefield, the great Methodist preacher, who had previously become acquainted with the Moravian Brethren, secured the services of some of them to erect a large building for a school for negro orphans, on a tract of 5,000 acres of land, in the Forks of the Delaware, which he had purchased in 1741). He called this tract Nazareth; known, also, its "The Barony," because, when this purchase was "released and confirmed by William Penn to his trusty friend, Sir John Fagg, for the sole use and behoof of his beloved daughter, Letitia Aubrey, it was done on the condition of the payment of one red rose, yearly, if demanded, in full for all services, customs, and rents; with the privilege of holding thereon court baron, and views of frank pledge for the conservation of the peace." It was on May 30th, in the year aforesaid, that this small band of hardy mechanics, under the leadership of Peter Boehler(2) reached the spot designated; and, as the shades of night closed upon them, they met for their evening worship under the wide spread branches of a primitive oak, which stood but a short distance from Captain Johns Indian village.(3) Before the expiration of six months, two log houses (one of which is still standing-the other was removed more than twenty years ago), and the lower portion of the walls of the large edifice, were completed. In consequence of some difficulty which now arose, nothing more was done until 1743, when Whitefield sold this estate to the Moravians, who then finished the main building, which has since that time been known as "Ephrata," or "The Whitefield House.4 " Here, then, was the first of that cordon of Moravian settlements gradually made during the next twenty years in this section of the country. In several cases, nothing is left of the original structures, but the localities of all are still known by their names. Taking Ephrata as our starting point, we find old Nazareth a few hundred rods to the south, commenced in 1744; but whose quaint looking houses have all been removed. One mile westward, was Gnadenthal, whose spacious buildings, erected in 1745, gave way to those of the Courity Almshouse, which was located here in 1835. A short distance south of this spot is Christianspring, laid out in 1748, and where we still find several of the first dwellings. About a mile to the east of Ephrata is Friedensthal, on the Lehietan (Bushkill), whose first mill, built in 1750, supplied the neighboring inhabitants with the best of flour. The Rose Settlement, containing the first Inn, or House of Entertainment, was begun in 1752, on the Kings road, about a mile to the northeast. "Standing on the very confines of barbarism, like a beacon off some dark and stormy coast, its cheering presence was henceforth hailed by horsemen and packers journeying on the Kings road, that led past and over the Blue Mountain, many miles northward, to the farms and settlements that dotted both shores of the Delaware in the Minisinks." This ancient hostelry was demolished in 1858. The pretty hamlet of Schoeneck, commenced in 1761, is to the north, almost within calling; and its old stone church, built in 1793, is still, fortunately, cherished by those whose ancestors delighted to worship within its massive walls. The present town of Nazareth, embracing Ephrata and Old Nazareth within its limits, was laid out on six hundred acres of the original tract, in 1771. The corner-stone of Nazareth Hall was laid in 1755,and the building was brought under roof within five months. Originally intended for the manor house, it was, however, never occupied by Count Zinzendorf, whose return from Germany did not take place, as death ended his useful career in 1760. The ground floor of this building was used as a place of worship, until the erection of the first church, in 1841; and its other roomy apartments have been devoted to school purposes, from 1759 to the present day.5 The first graveyard was located, in 1753, on the highest point of the ridge, running westward, and more than a mile from Ephrata. It was used for only some ten or twelve years, and was gradually lost and forgotten amid the forest trees which surrounded it. In 1870, the Moravian Historical Society erected a plain marble shaft, on a mound in the centre of the enclosure, and we find inscribed on it the names of more than sixty persons, of various nationalites, whose mortal remains were buried here. In 1756, the present place of burial was set apart, on the brow of the hill, just west of the hall. It has been enlarged several times, and is now within the limits of The Evergreen Cemetery. ___________________________________________________________________________ 1. Captain Zinzendorf was born in Dresden, May 17th, he received a most liberal education and finished his collegiate course, in the University at Wittemberg. For some years he held in important position in the government of Saxony, which he, however cheerfully resigned, in order to devote all his time, talents, and influence, to the service of God. He became the patron of the Moravians, who settled on one his estates, in Lusatia. He entered the regular ministry of their church, and was consecrated bishop in 1737. His subsequent life was one of constant activity in planning and carrying out various projects for the evangelization of the heathen in different parts of the world. In 1739 he visited the Moravian missions in the West Indies, and subsequently made extensive journeyings ,among the Indiana in Pennsylvania and New York. His truly eventful life closed in 1760, and his remains repose in the centre of the graveyard at Herrnhut 2. This truly great man was born in Frankfort-on-the-Main. December 3lst, 1712. He was intended by his fattier for the medical profession, but entered the University of Jena as a divinity student, when in his eighteenth year. Here he made the acquaintance of some Moravians whose communion he joined; and, in 1737,, he was sent to missionate among the negro slaves on the Plantations near Savannah Georgia. Three years later, he proceeded to Pennsylvania, and this province became the principal fleld of his future activity. He visited Europe several times, and died in London, in April, 1755. John Wesley, the Methodist revivalist, calls Peter Boehler his spiritual father.- (See Life of Wesley, &c.,) 3. Captain John, a Delaware, was a son of old Captain Harris, and a half-brother to Tadeuskund, King of the Delawares in 1756. A populous village of this tribe, under the jurisdiction of Captain John, occupied the later site of old Nazareth, in 1740. For a time, this "shrewd old Ishmalite" refused to give the Moravians full possession of the land just purchased by them. He died in 1747, and, in accordance with his dying request, was buried after the Christian mode of burial. 4.This building was originally intended by Whitefield for a school or asylum for orphan negro children. Having passed out of his hands, it became as well remarked, "the cradle of Moravianism in America." The old house has undergone many changes, and been used for many purposes. For a number of years it was set apart as a nursery for infant children between two and three years of age, thus to enable their parents "the better to labor for the common good of the community." This Institution was abolished about 1760, and, thenceforward, the Ephrata House was occupied by families for a long period and in later years (1856) it was used, also, for educational purposes. In 1871 the building was completely renovated, and altered in its interior arrangements. Since that date, it has been set apart as a temporary retreat for disabled missionaries and ministers, of the Church, and is now called "The Missionary Home." The Moravian Historical society occupies the second floor for its library and museum. 5. In 1785, the hall was surmounted with a belfry, bull, and vane. The hollow ball contains a document giving a short historical amount of the origin of the neighboring settlements." In 1796, a terrace was constructed on the roof, and the belfry now received a clock, the workmanship of Mr. Joseph Eberman, of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, which, for nearly fifty years, did goodly service in that spot. The old bell, with its devout inscription, "Deo soli gloria" (To God alone be the glory) still rings where it rang at first; but the clock was removed into the tower of the new church, in 1841, where a large, mellow-toned bell awaited it; but in 1861, both bell and clock were placed in the spire of the beautiful brick sanctuary, whence we hear the hours of the day, and their quarters, proclaimed, year in, year out. 221 THE EVERGREEN CEMETERY. Whose choice collection of spruce, pine, hemlock, and other suitable trees, makes it a most appropriate spot for interment. In the latter part of 1771, the first inn was built, on the very site of the present. NAZARETH HOTEL. A contemporary writer describes it as having been "a rather murky-looking tenement;" but, in course of time, it was improved, enlarged, and ultimately renovated; and now appears with all the appointments of modern hotel aspirations. During the next year, a store was opened in a two-story stone house on the east side of the square, in whose centre there was now placed a convenient pump for public use. This received its supply of water through pipes from a spring which still sends forth its never-failing stream, a short distance northwest of the hall. The waters from several contiguous spring, were, in time, led into this main pipe; and thus was the town supplied for nearly a century. In 1859, a reservoir (since enlarged), was built, just west of the cemetery, and the waters of Johns Spring. Some distance beyond, brought into it, iron pipes distribute the supply through the greater part of the town. The present WATER COMPANY was chartered in 1870. MARKET HOUSE. A public, market house was built in the square about 1780, and was in use until the hand of modern improvement demolished it in 1857. FIRE-ENGINES. Two hand fire-engines, were introduced; the first about 1790, and the second about 1820. At different times, as many various fire organizations existed, but at present there is no fire company. Both engines are still on hand, and also a large supply of hose, for attachment to the fire plugs connected with the pipes leading from the reservoir. Fortunately, but few fires have ever occurred. After the war for American Independence, when our National Government was established, a POST OFFICE. POST OFFICE Was soon opened in Nazareth, which now became the centre of post roads and travel from New York and Philadelphia to the northern parts, of Pennsylvania. The arrival and departure of the mail stage caused no little stir to the quiet community, and especially so during the times of the "Troy coaches and four" (still within the memory of the living), when the postillion's here announced, already from afar, the approach of travelers, whose advent at the old inn was always an hour full of strange expectations. But this has all been changed by the railroad facilities around us, though we still have a ride of five miles to the nearest depot. GERMAN NEWSPAPER, ETC. Between the years 1835 and 1838, a weekly German paper, Die Abend Zeitung (the Evening Paper), was published at Nazareth, but the office was afterwards removed to Easton, and there combined with some other paper. All the various handicrafts which necessity and comfort call for were gradually introduced; and though building operations were never very rapid, yet house after house was erected, and these mostly of a plain and substantial style. THE LIMESTONE QUARRIES. Opened for the construction of the Whitefield House, are still in use, and supply quantities of material for building and other purposes Of late years, thousands of tons of this stone have been burnt into lime (in large kilns, near the town), and mostly used by farmers to our north, who find it a valuable fertilizer; and since its introduction, the scrub-oak was to have been converted into productive grain farms. As time sped on a change was taking place in the habits and customs of the exclusively Moravian community of Nazareth, and it was by and by decided to abrogate the rules of the past, and to take a more liberal view of the sentiments of the world around. Hence in 1849 THE LEASE SYSTEM was abolished by the Church authorities, met in General Synod (Clergy and Lay men) at Bethlehem; and soon after the town plan of Nazareth was enlarged, property was offered to the highest bidders, and an impetus thus given to business in general, which resulted in the erection of a number of well-built brick dwellings, on several of the new streets just opened. CHURCH EDIFICES. The Moravian Church of 1841, was, now converted into a Parochial schoolhouse, and the present beautiful church building erected, in 1861, on the west side of Centre Square. The Lutheran and Reformed congregations, built St. Johns Church in 1859, on South Broad, corner of Prospect, street, and in 1867 the German Evangelical Association put up a place of worship at the corner of Broad and Walnut street. Two additional PUBLIC HOUSES were opened-the American Hotel in 1853, and the Franklin House, in 1860. THE FAIR GROUND. Of the Northampton County Agricultural Society, was laid out in 1854, in the southern part of the town, between Main and Broad streets. FREE SCHOOL HOUSES ETC. A school house was built, in 1868, at the corner of North Broad and Chestnut Sts., in connection with which a building of smaller dimensions near by, is devoted to school purposes. As education, in its true and most thorough sense, always field a prominent place among the leading principles of the Moravian Church, schools for boys and for girls, and also for infants, were early established here, as elsewhere, and they have been maintained unto the present day. Musical talent, so natural among Germans, has also been well cultivated, and literary societies are not wanting. A Philharmonic Society, a Cornet Band and a Young Mens Lyceum, have, for many decades afforded opportunities for pleasant and useful recreation. In 1857 the Moravian Historical Society was instituted, and its, library and museum of antiquities, occupy the second floor ofthe Whitefield House Sunday-schools and other religious association, are connected with all the churches, the oldest and most important of which are the Missionary Societies of the Moravians. A museum of Indian relies and other curiosities, was opened by a private individual in 1869, whose cabinet contains one of the largest and most valuable collection of birds eggs and nests to be met with. The enthusiastic owner has spent full fifty years in making this collection. As already stated Nazareth has been a post-town for nearly a century. There are daily mails and stage and express facilities to all parts of the country. With regard to the military record of the borough, during the late. War of the Rebellion, it is but just to state that at the first call for troops, the young men were not slow in offering their services. The first company regularly organized, was Company A, 153d Regiment, Pa. Vols., the record of , which at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, is well known. INCORPORATED A BOROUGH. April 14th, 1863. All of the usual professions and trades of a provincial town are represented in the village, and from the appended list, it will be seen that our population, of about 1,000, are well served in this respect. The three churches have comfortable parsonages for their presences. There are seven buildings in the borough used for school purposes, and some twenty teachers are, employed. We have four physicians; strange to say, no lawyer has ever opened all office in the town, though it has unfortunately not been free from litigation one apothecary two druggists one veterinary surgeon three dry goods, grocery, and notion stores two hardware stores one iron foundry one machine-shop, for agricultural implements one sash factory and planing-mill one baker and confectioner two floor still feed stores two hoteliers four tailors seven shoemakers one hatter and dealer in furs one tobacconist one undertaker two lumber yards two cabinet makers two carriage, factories one wheelwright one stone cotter four house carpenters and painters one carpet and coverlet weaver one photographer two harness makers one paint works one cigar-box maker three hotels, three restaurants two brick yards one guitar factory one nursery of fruit and shade trees two barber shops three tinsmiths and dealers in stoves four milliners four dressmakers two life and fire insurance agencies one telegraph (Western Union office) one fire-engine house one livery stable one Gas Works for the Moravian Church) two Justices of the peace, Burgess and five Councilmen one High Constable one museum one lyceum and reading-room This list of handicrafts shows that we have no idle community; and as nearly all of the houses are owned by their occupants, there is good proof that the efforts of all who were faithful and diligent in business, were crowned with a satisfactory success. By the practice of diligence and economy, have not only home-comforts been secured, but generous spirit of beneficence has, been cherished, and a ready and active part taken by the people of Nazareth, in the great charitable projects of the day. 222 The citizens, mostly of German descent, retain many of the staid and quiet habits of their ancestors, and have been content to pursue their various enjoyments with but few ambitious traits, to spur them on to more active, and lucrative businesses. While the German language still predominates in common conversation, the English is spoken by nearly every one, and, is gradually becoming more general in its use. The town itself, noted for its healthy position, has a natural drainage, is well supplied with pure water, has graded streets and good sidewalks, street lamps, public hydrants and fire-plugs, and other necessary and convenient appointments. The houses, are mostly of stone and brick; plain, well-built, and roomy without any pretensions to architectural beauty. The principal thoroughfares run north and south, and are crossed by others at right angles, all duly named. Situated near the centre of the county, with a, rather confined local trade. Nazareth cannot think of competing in business with the large towns, but a few miles distant, which possess canal and railroad advantages, and in which extensive iron works, foundries, forges, rolling-mills, etc., are located. But should the day come, which perhaps is not far off when a long contemplated railroad, to pass the town in a northeasterly course, will be built, then, no doubt, the development of our rich natural products will become lucrative, and a fair portion of traffic and encouragement in our midst. THE NAZARETH COUNTY No. 1, ORDER OF UNITED AMERICAN MECHANICS, was instituted in 1849 It contains some sixty members. The MANITOBA TRIBE, No. 125, IMPROVED ORDER OF RED MEN, was established in 1870. The most prominent as well as the most interesting feature of the borough of Nazareth, is the venerable institution of learning, known as NAZARETH HALL PICTURE OF NAZARETH HALL APPEARS HERE In 1740, George Whitefield, then in the zenith of his activity it, the British Provinces of North America, purchased of Mr. William Allen of Philadelphia, 5,000 acres of land, in the Forks of the Delaware, which he named Nazareth. Here he projected a school for negroes, and here he designed settling such of his adherents in England as, might be compelled to leave, their country for conscience sake. His plans, however, were never consummate. The school-building-at the present day, called the Whitefield House-was only in course, of erection, when, in 1741, the death of Whitefield's financial agent compelled him to relinquish his noble enterprise. Becoming pecuniarily embarrassed, he threw his estate in Pennsylvania on the market, and in the summer of the above mentioned year, it was purchased by Bishop Spangenberg, then in London, for the Moravian Church. On this historic tract, Nazareth Hall was commenced in May, 1755, but was not completed until in the summer of 1758; a delay, which was unavoidable, in times troublous, for the borders of the Province, us were those which succeed Braddock's disastrous campaign. It is built of the limestone of the neighborhood, is eighty feet long by forty broad, three stories, high, and has a broken or gambrel roof, which is surmounted by a balustered terrace and a belfry. Nazareth Hall is in imposing structure, and even now challenges admiration for the chasteness of its design, and the justness of its proportions. Count Zinzendorf, for whom the hall had been built, failing to revisit this country, in June of 1759, it was converted into a boarding-school for Moravian lads exclusively, In December of 1764, there were as many as one hundred and six pupils in charge of sixteen tutors and twelve assistants, in the building. In May of 1737, a Provincial Synod of the Church held its sessions in the chapel of the Hall, and in the summer of the same year, Bishop Spangenberg, who for nearly twenty years superintended the Moravian movement in North America, occupied a suite of its apartments. The Hall and the four buildings (including the Principals residence) now belonging to the Institution, front on a pleasant lawn, and are distant from the main street and business portion of the borough. In the rear ties the farm, containing some forty acres. The valuation of these estates and properties, including furniture, stock, equipments, etc, may not be far from $50,000. There have been fourteen principals, the first of whom, was: REV. CHARLES G. REICHEL, 1785-1802 Mr. Reichel, a graduate of the Moravian Theological Seminary at Barby, Saxony, came to this country in the autumn of 1784, to take charge of the then recently planned Boarding School at Nazareth. On the third of October, 1785, the day on which it was opened, be assumed the duties of presiding officer. There were but eleven pupils entered on that day, and these were sons of members of the Moravian Church. Joseph Shaw, of Philadelphia, was the first but not of Moravian parentage admitted. In 1787, John Konkaput, a Housatonic Indian, from Stockbridge, Mass., was placed at the Institution by the United States Government. Accessions of pupils from the West Indies, date from the year 1788; and, from that time, there was scarcely a year but that sons of English and Danish planters from these islands were inmates of the Hall. During Mr. Reichel's administration, one hundred and sixty-three pupils were connected with the Institution. Special attention was paid to the study of the English and German languages, the pupils being required to express themselves exclusively in the one or the other, on alternate days, in their intercourse with each other and their preceptors. The first examination of classes open to the public, was held in October of 1789. In August of 1786, fifty-five and a half perches of land lying west ofthe Hall, were laid out into a park. It was subsequently enlarged, planted with forest trees, shrubs and wild flowers, add thus became "the shades of the Academy," in which, successive generations of its inmate sought rest and recreation from mental toil. Mr. Reichel returned to Europe in 1818, and died at Nisky, Lower Silesia, in April of 1825. 223 REV. JACOB VAN VLECK, 1802-1809 Mr. Van Vleck was a native of New York, and his parents members of the church which the Moravians organized in that city in 1748. After having pursued it collegiate course of instruction in the Hall, he, in 1771, went abroad, to prepare for the ministry at the Theological Seminary at Barby. Returning to his native country after a seven years absence, Mr. Van Vleck was ordained, and, in 1790, appointed Principal of the Young Ladies Seminary at Bethlehem, and in 1802, succeeded Mr. Reichel at Nazareth Hall. One hundred and nineteen pupils, of which number but eighteen were Moravians, were admitted during his administration. As the sons of Moravian parents were now beginning to preponderate in the school, the German language, which had at first been used in destruction to a great extent, was supplanted by the English. It was found necessary also, to bring the curriculum more in conformity with that of other schools in the country. As, the school grew, great difficulty was experienced in procuring liberally educated preceptors. It was, therefore, resolved to make special provision for this pressing want, and, in 1807, a Collegiate and Divinity School was established at the Hall, in which young men of the Church were trained as preceptors while studying for the ministry. This was the origin of the preteens Theological Seminary at Bethlehem. Since 1810 this Institution has supplied most of the teachers employed in Nazareth Hall. REV. CHARLES F. SEIDEL 1809-1817. Mr. Seidel was a graduate of the Moravian Theological Seminary at Nisky; came to this country in 1806, and in 1809 took charge of the, Hall The third of October, 1810, was the twenty-fifth anniversary of the founding of the school The occasion was impressively observed; the chapel decorated; the pupils for the first tune occupied a common refectory; and a musical entertainment closed the festivities of the day. REV. JOHN C. BECKLER, 1817-1822. During his administration there was erected a residence for the Principal, who, with his family had hitherto been domiciled in the Hall. REV. WM. H. VAN VLECK, 1822-29. Mr. Van Vleck a son of the second Principal, was educated in the logical Seminar at Nazareth, and discharged the duties of a tutor in the Hall, prior to his entrance into the ministry. As a Principal he was successful, and the Institution entrusted to his care flourished as it had never done before. The number of pupils reached seventy-one. Subsequent to his retirement from the school, Mr. Van Vleck took charge of the Moravian Church in New York; was some time President of the Executive Board of the Province South; and, while senior pastor at Bethlehem, died in January of 1852. REV. JOHN G. HERMAN, 1829-1837. The sixth Principal of the Hall was a graduate of the Theological Seminary at Nisky, came to this country in 1817, and after having labored in the ministry for twelve years, took charge of the Institution at Nazareth. His administration was eminently prosperous, the number of pupils eventually reaching seventy-three. The semi-centennial of the Institution was observed on the third of October 1835. Eight hundred and seventeen pupils were admitted during the first half century of the Institutions existence. Two hundred and four were from Philadelphia one hundred and seventeen from other points in Pennsylvania one hundred and fifty-nine from the City and State of New York fifty-three from Baltimore eighty-two from the West India Islands forty-one from Bethlehem eighteen from Nazareth fourteen from Litiz twelve from Salem, N. C. one hundred and nine from other States of the Union, Canada, and from abroad. In 1830, the refectory, which had hitherto been to the basement of the Hall, was transferred to a wing attached in the east end of the building. REV. CHARLES A. VAN VLECK, 1837-1839. Mr. Van Vleck was a brother of the first Principal. He was a graduate of the Theological Seminary at Nazareth. Died in Greenville, Tenn., in December, 1845. REV. CHARLES F. KLUGE 1839-1844. Mr. Kluge was a graduate of the Theological Seminary at, Nazareth, and subsequently pastor of the Moravian Church in New York. During his administration at the Hall, the Trustees of the Institution purchased the building from the congregation who had been holding services in the lower part of the Hall, that having been conveyed to them in 1771, when the division of a portion of the unity estates in this country was effected. It was furnished as a chapel, additions made for refectory and kitchen, and the pupils boarded by the Institution. Mr. Jacobson was educated in the Theological Seminary at Nisky, Came to this country in 1816, and for ten years was a tutor in the Hall. His first pastoral charge was in the Province South. For eleven years he presided over the Young Ladies Academy at Salem, leaving it to enter upon the duties of Principal at Nazareth Hall. One hundred and thirty-two pupils are registered for this administration, the number at one time reaching seventy. REV. LEVI T. REICHEL, 1849-1853. Mr. Reichel, a son of the first Principal, was born at Bethlehem and educated for the ministry abroad. In 1834 he entered the Hall as it tutor, and in 1837 was called to a charge in the neighborhood of Nazareth. During this administration the arrangements in the school underwent a change the course of study was modified, the use of the German language in the daily intercourse of the pupils was reintroduced, and day-scholars were no longer admitted. REV. EDWARD RONDTHALER, 1853-54, Was born at Nazareth and educated in the Theological Seminary at that place, From the Hall, in which he labored as tutor for six years, he was, in 1841, called to the charge of a congregation in the neighborhood. Subsequently he was settled at Graceham, Frederick county, Md., and in Philadelphia. On severing his connection with the Institution in whose interests he wrought zealously, Mr. Ronthaler was appointed Professor in the Theological Seminary, at that time temporarily located at Nazareth. There he died, in March of 1865. REV. EDWARD H. REICHEL 1854-1866, A grandson of the first Principal of Nazareth Hall, was graduated frown the Theological Seminary at Bethlehem, served as a tutor in the first-named Institution, and in 1849 was settled in the ministry at Camden Valley, Washington County, N. Y. From that church he was called to the Hall. The annual increase in the number of pupils calling for ampler accommodation, to the autumn of 1865 a three-story wing was added to the Hall. Thus the capacity of the school was permanently increased. In 1862, Mr, Reichel organized his pupils into a uniformed cadet company, and introduced military drill as part of the routine of physical culture. During his incumbency, the Institution was relieved from financial embarrassments, under which it had labored much to its disadvantage for a number of years. Reunions were held annually as late as 1859. At the one of June 11th, 1858, a mural tablet, hearing the names ofthe twelve Principals of the Hall, (a tribute from former pupils) was inserted in the wall of the chapel. The reunion of 1866 was one of more than ordinary interest, calling forth the rehearsal of services rendered no their country in the time of her danger by patriotic Alumni of the school. Upward of six hundred pupils were admitted into the Hall during this administration. REV. ROBERT DE SCHWEINITZ, 1866-1867. Graduated from the Theological Seminary at Bethlehem, and, after having been a tutor in the, Hall for six years, was settled successively in different pastorates. Between 18,53 and 1855, he was Principal of the Young Ladies, Seminary at Salem. He is now President of the Board of Trustees of Nazareth Hall. 224 REV. EUGENE LEIBERT, 1867. Mr. Leibert was graduated from the Theological Seminary of the Moravian Church in l853, and entered the Hall as a tutor. Having been settled in the ministry successively at Sharon, Tuscarawas county, Ohio, and on Staten Island, he was in July of 1867 called to the Institution over which he has now presided for nine years. During this period the capacity of the school has been greatly increased, and only lately a commodious four-story building near the Hall has been purchased in order to meet the wants of its growing patronage. The present number of pupils is one hundred and fifty. The ninth reunion of former pupils, marked by the inauguration of it memorial cenotaph in honor of such Alumni as fell in the defence of their country during the late civil war, was held June 11th, 1868. One hundred and thirty-three former inmates of the Hall, some of whom entered is early as 1788, were present on this interesting occasion, Among the members of the Committee of Arrangements were Andrew A. Humphreys, Major-General, U. S. A. (a pupil of the class of 1822) John Baille McIntosh, Brevet Major-General, U. S. A. (a pupil of 1837) Nathaniel Michler, Brevet Brigadier-General, U. S. A, (a pupil of 1836) George P. Ihrie, Brevet Brigadier-General, U. S. A. (a pupil of 1836) Major Giles Porter, U. S A. (a pupil of 1840) The orator of the day was Rev. Edmund de Schweinitz, of Bethlehem, a pupil of 1834; and to General Humphreys, the senior officer present, was awarded the honor of unvailing the stone. It stands in the center of the green which spreads out before the flail. Its base is a block of granite, six and-a-half feet square. On this rests the pedestal, consisting of slabs of Connecticut sand- stone, supporting a solid block of New Brunswick drab-stone, into whose southern face is cut the National Cost of Arms, The pedestal is surmounted by a square the of Italian white marble, on which are inscribed appropriate legends and the names of the fallen Alumni. The obelisk itself is composed of1docks of Cleveland drab-stone alternating with slabs of Connecticut brown-stone. The south face of the marble bears the following inscription: "To commemorate the memory or sons of Nazareth Hall, who died that their country might be healed and live, this stone, is erected by the Alumni of the institution in the year of grace, 1868." On the east face are inscribed these names: DAVID BAKER VAN BRUNT M. BERGEN HERMAN L. BEITEL CHARLES M BERG EUQENE FERD CLEWELL GEORGE LORILLARD FREAM DANIEL H. FASIG JOSEPH P. BACHMAN HORACE C. BENNET And below, the comforting words of Scripture: "They shall hunger no more; neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the lamb which is in the midst of them shall feed them, and shall lead them at living fountain of waters; and God shall wipe away all tests from their eyes." The north side bears the names of ASHER GAYLORD JAMES T. GRAFTON JOHN C. HAGEN PLINY A. JEWETT, JR. CLARENCE KAMPMANN WILLIAM W. LADD DAVID T. LATINIER BENJAMIN F. LANDELL FRANK POTT And the legend, "The Academy is the nursing mother of patroits, rearing her children in the ways of truth and freedom." On the west, face the record is completed with the names of CHARLES RYERSON EDMUND A SHOUSE EDWIN A. KIRVING CHARLES L. SMEIDLE CHRISTIAN F. SMITH CHARLES M. STOUT ARTHUR L. VAN VLECK JOHN A. WITMER JOHN F. WOOD And underneath, the words of Plato: "Hence it, is, that the fathers of these men, and themselves too, being nurtured in all freedom and well-born, have shown before all men deeds many and glorious in public and private, deeming it their duty to fight for freedom and their country, even against their countrymen." The Military and Naval Record of the, Institution, furthermore, shows that two hundred and six of its pupils entered the Army or Navy or the United States in the civil war, in addition to the twenty-eight who fell in battle, or died of disease contracted in the service. Upwards of 3,000 pupils, as has been stated, have been educated in part or entirely within the past ninety-one years, at this now venerable Institution of learning. Many of these are known to have risen to eminence in the various walks of life, and have been or are men of mark in the eyes of the world. Truly, it is an Institution of which gray old Nazareth may well he proud.